Author Topic: Locals  (Read 66828 times)

Merle

Re: Locals
« Reply #80 on: Mar 04, 08, 06:34:07 PM »
correction:  to the previous post,  it was Pop Drury's house.

Offline RobertW

• Raccoon
  • Clear Skies!
« Reply #81 on: Mar 04, 08, 06:44:38 PM »
correction:  to the previous post,  it was Pop Drury's house.

My grandfather was Al Schobert who lived just above you on Robin.  My brother and I would live with our Grandparents during the summers and holidays during the mid to late 60's.  We often looked down on Drury's house from our porch as we'd listen to the Dodger games (grandpa had outside speakers so he could listen to the game while watering the property).  Nothing much has changed on the lots between us.  Tanner's place across the street from Pop Drury's place is still there and looks pretty much the same and the 2 lots between Lark and Robin, between us are still vacant.  That is pretty rare now in Wrightwood as it seems all the vacant lots are being built on.

Merle

« Reply #82 on: Mar 04, 08, 08:46:51 PM »
ok, here is another question, Where and what is Wrightwood Country Club?  We used to go to Twin Lakes, but is that the same place?

Offline Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
« Reply #83 on: Mar 04, 08, 08:58:03 PM »
Yes Twin Lakes is now Wrightwood Country Club however they did cover over one of the lakes and now there is only 1.

Merle

« Reply #84 on: Mar 04, 08, 09:05:03 PM »
Thank you.  I guess I am going to have to make the trip up there soon and take a look around.

Offline Local

• Squirrel
« Reply #85 on: Mar 04, 08, 11:36:15 PM »
You know i tried posting but was kicked out for some reason saying i was not logged in......... and i was logged in, so my novel and answers are lost darn..........

LOcAL

Merle you should get back up to WW i was there in November, spent the night cruised up to Inspiration Point....
Local

Merle

« Reply #86 on: Mar 05, 08, 12:35:14 AM »
Oh I do remember Inspiration Point!!  I would swear we saw ufo's.  Of course that was the late 60's early 70's.  Some of my best memories were sitting in the freezing cold in the middle of the night, with Heinz Stienman and the gang at Holiday Hill making snow.

Merle

« Reply #87 on: Mar 05, 08, 11:20:15 AM »
I just remembered a few of the names of people we used to hang out with:  Doug Henderson, Terry Pulver, Mike Gates, Randy, Tom, and anther brother Carter.  Are any of them still around?

roynlorimoore

« Reply #88 on: Sep 13, 08, 01:07:02 AM »
Hi.  I too had Lorraine Joslin for a madrigal teacher in 1968.  We made that same trip to her cabin on Apple, I think.  I went to Sequoia Jr. High then.

Local,
     You are so very welcome!  I do love it here and am so thankful that I am able to live here and enjoy the natural surroundings of our beautiful village.  I am so glad that you can come to this website and reminise about your family and your childhood.  That is such a special memory to have.  When I started coming here in 1965 my first visit was with my music teacher at the time.  She taught in the Fontana School District and she brought some of us who were in a special musical class up for the weekend.  Her name was Lorraine Joslin and she lived here for many years before having to be put in a home before she passed on.  Anyway, welcome back and so nice to hear from you!

;)

setagsunny

« Reply #89 on: Dec 08, 15, 08:38:25 AM »
I am a genealogist working with the Joslin family to compile remembrances about Lorraine Joslin, school teacher in the 1960's and 1970's.  People that knew her loved her.   Would love to hear your stories.  Thanks

walter k

« Reply #90 on: Dec 08, 15, 02:15:30 PM »
anyone know of a cabin builder here in 1920 named John Schoenkraut or something like that?   

duitoit

« Reply #91 on: Jan 16, 16, 09:00:42 PM »
Just found the this web page. What a trip back in time. My family started coming to Wrightwood around 1957 or so. We had a cabin at Quail and Phaesant and during some remodeling it burnt to the ground. My father replaced the cabin and we became full time weekenders. Summers at Twin Lakes and winters at Holiday Hill. I moved to Wrightwood around 1964. I had my first "legal" beer served by Mike Scruggs at the Yodeler. It was a great time. I worked for Eddy Scheider at Skyline Construction. But when it snowed we all went to Holiday Hill and worked there for Heinz Steinamn. Worked at Holiday Hill and installed the 2nd snow making equipment in Southern California after snow summit. All of us were on the volunteer fire department where Mike Scruggs was the fire chief. While hanging around the fire department there was a bulletin on the board about something to do with a traffic officer. Lonnie, who was the resident sheriff at the time, convinced me to take the test. I did and became a CHP officer and had to move from Wrightwood back to Los Angeles. I have always had a place in my heart for Wrightwood. I was a great place to live.

Offline Local

• Squirrel
« Reply #92 on: Oct 20, 16, 10:37:30 AM »
Just wanted to let you all know I am still around and do snoop the pages of this forum....I just got in contact with the owner of our old house and love the fact that he is keeping it original as possible.....

Offline Local

• Squirrel
« Reply #93 on: Mar 17, 18, 02:19:14 PM »
How is everyone doing? Me I am still living the good life in Hawaii I don't do winter......