Author Topic: Art Classes in Wrightwood-Starting Sept. 15th, 08  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Art Oasis

• Mouse
Art Classes in Wrightwood-Starting Sept. 15th, 08
« on: Aug 20, 08, 09:48:22 PM »
Art Lessons! 4-week classes. Beginning Sept. 15th.

Monday    3:30 – 4:45 ages 6-11
                5:00 – 6:30 ages 12-adult
                7:00 – 8:30 ages 12-adult

Thursday 3:30 – 4:30 ages 4-5

Fees:  $60.00 per 4-week session

Saturday Workshops 1-3:
October 4 - Beeswax Candle Making, $20.00
October 18 - Silk Painting Sun Catchers, $20.00
November 1 - Paper making, $30.00
November 15 - German Wax Paper Stars, $20.00

Information or Registration:
Michelle Sherman - BFA
PH: 760 . 249 . 3752
ArtOasis@live.com

Offline free2bee

• Raccoon
Re: Art Classes in Wrightwood-Starting Sept. 15th, 08
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 08, 09:40:44 AM »
The writing group meets at the Gathering Place every other Monday from 7-9.

Offline news

• Mouse
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 08, 05:10:30 PM »
Aren't those craft classes, as opposed to art classes?

Offline MerlinsPage

• Bear
  • Life is a Metamorphosis of change
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 08, 07:52:18 PM »
Alright Clint , whats the difference? ;)

Offline ChrisLynnet

• Raccoon
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 08, 09:54:12 PM »
What and where is the Gathering Place?

Thanks.

Offline Stitches

• Raccoon
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 08, 10:41:25 PM »
Isn't that the little building between the museum and Mile High Pizza?

Offline Surfer_Dude

• Raccoon
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 08, 11:20:09 PM »
 Art and Craft Difference

�Craft work is skilled work: any kind of craft must involve the application of a technique. The word, after all, is the German Kraft, simply means power or ability. Craft involves technique, yes, but not necessarily mechanical technology. For we wouldn�t attribute a high level of craftsmanship to a machine which produced thousands of coffee mugs in an hour. Craft implies the application of human intelligence and usually when we use the word we have in mind the application of the human hand. The craftsman has tools at command, but to the extent that the tools themselves, independent of human guidance, accomplish a task, we don�t talk about craftsmanship.

A second point. The concept of craft is historically associated with the production of useful objects and art � well, at least since the 18th century � with useless ones. The craftsman�s teapot or vase should normally be able to hold tea or flowers, while the artist�s work is typically without utilitarian function. In fact, if an object is made demonstrably useless � if, to cite a famous example, you take a teacup and line it entirely with animal fur � it has to be considered as a work of art, because there is nothing else left to consider it as. The crafts tend to produce things which are useful for various human purposes, and though they may be pretty or pleasing in any number of ways, craft objects tend to exhibit their prettiness around a purpose external to the object itself. To this extent, the crafts aren�t arts, according to a idea which found fullest expression in the aesthetics of the great Enlightenment philosopher Immanuel Kant. Works of art, Kant said, are �intrinsically final�: they appeal purely at the level of the imagination and aren�t good for any practical utility, except � and I�ll return to this � except the cultivation of the human spirit.

These two symptoms of craft, that craft involves the application of intelligent skill (often some kind of handwork), and that it commonly results in the production of useful objects, are uncontroversial, but they still don�t get us very far in distinguishing craft from art. Because, of course, works of art � in painting, in music and its performance, in poetry, and elsewhere � normally require skill, and, moreover, many great works of art are also objects of enormous practical value, for example, works of architecture. �

From �The Difference Between Art and Craft� Radio New Zealand broadcast talk, July 4, 1990 Denis Dutton http://www.denisdutton.com/rnz_craft.htm

Offline Stitches

• Raccoon
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 08, 06:38:01 AM »
So, is a sculpture that functions as a hat rack art or craft?    How about a quilt that homemade, warm and beautiful but spends it's life on the wall keeping IT warm, is that art or craft?

I guess I'm a crafts person.   Gotta have a purpose/use after I produce it.    I sew and crochet, but nothing to hang or just because it's pretty.

Two of my kids went to Color Me Mine and brought home a carp and a dog.   Both non functional pieces.  I had hoped at least for a cup or a salsa dish or gravy bowl.   That's what I would have done.

Can you tell me something about the Silk Painting Suncatcher?

Offline MojaveSidecar

• Bear
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 08, 10:12:20 AM »
Would it be possible to post pictures of the sun catcher and the wax paper stars, so we could see what they look like, to know if we'd like to attend the workshop to learn how to make them? Maybe they would be something unique that would be good for holiday gifts? Thanks.

Offline Art Oasis

• Mouse
« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 08, 04:22:16 PM »
Thank You  :2thumbsup:Surfer_Dude for the Art vs. Craft elucidation but this is a subjective subject.  My personal favorite book on the philosophy of art is The Romantic Manifesto.  I know many people enjoy debating the arts but I prefer creating and teaching.  The following is a response to the questions here on the forum.

My goals are to provide an encouraging environment where students can express their creativity using the basic elements that lead to comprehensive drawing skills.  As students become proficient with the basic drawing techniques they will be able to build upon this making complex multi-media creations.  Everyone can draw well, if they are taught the proper techniques and the methodology which most artists naturally use.

EMPHASIZING:
               Basic Elements of Drawing
               Unique Techniques and Tools
               Art Theory and Fundamentals
               Creative Expression     

GAIN VALUABLE STRENGTHS:     
                        Fine Motor Skills   
                        Attention to Detail       
                        Spatial Organization     
                        Self Confidence
                        Relieve Inhibitions and Stress
                        Discover your Unique Talents

Offering Classes, Workshops, and Tutoring/Private Lessons

In addition to weekly classes I am offering Saturday workshops in "Arts", "Crafts", or whatever inspires my creativity.  I have also talked with Fire Mountain about teaching a workshop with clay in the future.

For those of you who want a visual picture or more detailed explanation of my workshops please e-mail me at ArtOasis @live.com so I can send you a word document with pictures.  I have not figured out how to post a picture on the forum yet(my left brain is struggling with computers). 

This Froebel Star originated in the Moravian School in Niesky, Germany by Froebel Friedrich (1782-1852) as a geometry lesson.  They are used for decoration during the holiday season and hang beautifully on Christmas trees, packages or wreaths.  Also known as Swedish star, Polish star, Danish star, Pennsylvanian star and advent star.

You may also fine my brochures around town at Fire Mountain, Coffee Grind, and Cinnamon's Bakery.
-Thanks

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead.. his eyes are closed.
   -Albert Einstein

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
    -Pablo Picasso

Painting is so poetic, while sculpture is more logical and scientific
and makes you worry about gravity.
::: Damien Hirst :::

Offline news

• Mouse
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 08, 08:35:35 PM »
How about some bio?

Education, shows, galleries, awards, articles, experience?

Offline MerlinsPage

• Bear
  • Life is a Metamorphosis of change
« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 08, 07:58:52 AM »
Wonderful response Art Oasis,
My favorite has been, Moholy-Nagy's "Vision in Motion".