Author Topic: Frozen Pipes  (Read 6958 times)

Offline sage

• Raccoon
  • World Peace Begins At Home
Re: Frozen Pipes
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 13, 12:43:18 PM »
The pipe for our cold water on the washing machince froze too. Also the drain pipe must of had a chunk of ice in it also, because quite a bit of water was all over the floor. We have a spot, where over 20 years ago this happened to the same area, where we covered it with a board and  filling it with insulation first. So yes like they said above, a hair dryer and a little space heater, took close to an hour to unthaw. So now on with new insulation and put the board back. Good luck!

Online Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 13, 12:45:21 PM »
SBCFD Comm Center has dispatched a number of county Fire Stations for broken pipes (water salvage)  throughout the high desert today.
When weather begins to warm up later this week, thawing will take place and many more broken pipes will show up as water begins to flow.

Offline Surfer_Dude

• Raccoon
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 13, 01:26:23 PM »
Tim,
No. Underground they are insulated.  But pipes do freeze here regularly on these ultra cold days, especially the ones that run into the garage (washing machine).  So the best answer is to insulate the facets and pipes as best as possible and wait for the thaw. If they do get cold enough to burst, know where shut valves are in various points in your house and of course the main valve at the street.

My neighbor's pipe busted in here garage a few years back and finding her shut off valve under the snow in the winter wasn't as easy as it sounds. We found   another valve under her house that worked better than using the main as it stopped the problem but not her water to the house.

Offline jek134

• Scrub Jay
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 13, 09:56:13 PM »
No water in my house yesterday, too. Called the water company today and they said the pipes probably froze.  :(  The part I don't understand is that I shut off my water before leaving the house and turned on my faucet to make sure my pipes were empty. How could the pipes freeze with no water in them? I'm hoping the weather will warm up this week before I get back to the cabin this weekend.

Offline Ken

• Raccoon
  • KI6IMO
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 13, 10:06:53 PM »
Just turning on a faucet only relieves the pressure. It doesn't drain the system. The only way to drain the pipes is to have a drain at the lowest point in the system.

Offline jek134

• Scrub Jay
« Reply #30 on: Jan 15, 13, 12:00:59 AM »
Yikes! What does that mean? I thought I was doing the right thing by turning off my water, opening a faucet, and leaving my heater on at 55. What more am I supposed to do to protect against frozen pipes? Owning a home in the mountains is hard work... ???

Offline in my dreams

• Raccoon
« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 13, 12:56:53 AM »
 0*, +/-  a couple degrees (depending where you are up here), is an extraordinary and uncommon event.  I assume your pipes under the house are well insulated? Did you shut a bathroom door that does not have a heat vent in it? It is possible your water line in the ground is frozen.  My neighbors got a nasty surprise 4 or 5 years ago when that happened to them and it burst.  (Have you scraped away any soil in your yard, or the previous owners, recently?)  Do you leave the cabinets under the sink open to expose them to the warmer air?  I've got a frozen pipe against an outside garage wall that feeds my kitchen sink.  Using a space heater, keeping the water off and bleeding my pipes as best we can (the lowest drain is, I believe, the location of the freeze), hoping it relieved enough pressure in time. . . We are not alone.  Stories of frozen pipes are all over town.  The Grizzly Cafe had a pipe not just freeze but break.  Seems Wrightwood Plumbing did a great job fixing it out there in the arctic evening air.

For more freezing pipe  info, see the following:
http://www.weather.com/activities/homeandgarden/home/hometips/severeweather/pipefreeze_prevent.html

Offline ChrisLynnet

• Raccoon
« Reply #32 on: Jan 15, 13, 08:01:55 AM »
I never realized how lucky I was that my water heater, washer and dryer are inside the house. At night I keep it at 55. My church's pipes froze this Sunday though and we were in imminent danger of a bunch of grumpy Christians without their coffee! Luckily I found one running faucet and Nolena formed a bucket brigade back to the coffee makers in the kitchen, LOL!

Offline SkierBob

• Raccoon
  • Hangin' out Down the street
« Reply #33 on: Jan 15, 13, 09:02:09 AM »
I spent the last few days in Mono County, after three days of -20 temps the fuel gelled in my diesel truck. 

I had never experienced that before  :o

Online Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
« Reply #34 on: Jan 15, 13, 09:13:05 AM »
Wrightwood area residents need to be extra alert for neighbors homes during the next few days as temperatures begin to rise.
If you see any signs of water running near homes shut of the main for the house or call Golden State Water immediately so they can shut it off.
Water damage/salvage is extremely expensive.

Offline lagomorphmom

• Raccoon
« Reply #35 on: Jan 15, 13, 11:32:35 AM »
I would suggest calling the Water Co. even if you shut off the main so the owners can be notified if they are part time or the bank owns it.

Weekend before last, we shut off a main a block over and there was no furniture in it so I called it in on Monday.

Offline tcaarabians

• Raccoon
« Reply #36 on: Jan 15, 13, 12:16:39 PM »
This morning was the first time in several days that my water line into the kitchen wasn't frozen. Alas, the water lines into the chicken coop are totally blown. We've started repairs.. I'm not sure where I'm going to go with this. And,I've yet to turn on the irrigation system. I think I'll wait for those 50s we have predicted here in P.H. for the coming week. At least it might be warmer when I'm totally drenched checking them out. cheryl o7o

Offline Leftfield

• Raccoon
« Reply #37 on: Jan 15, 13, 03:43:14 PM »
I had one pipe that keep getting frozen/busted over the years.  I finally resorted to pointing a space heater in that pipe's direction.  I checked the wall to make sure they didnt over heated and so far so good.   I figured on a whim that the extra in the electrical bill would be about the same as fixing the pipe with a whole lot less headaches and mess.....but winter is just starting...Im still keeping my fingers crossed too. 

Online Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
« Reply #38 on: Jan 15, 13, 05:47:06 PM »
Spent the afternoon doing some Internet work for CFord Plumbing.
The phone is ringing off the hook about busted pipes and frozen water lines. I'd say they took at least 50 phone calls while I was there.

The most important message that they pass along to callers with frozen pipes, leave a valve partially open to help relieve pressure from the frozen water.

Offline in my dreams

• Raccoon
« Reply #39 on: Jan 15, 13, 08:12:35 PM »
My pipe was free of ice this afternoon.  :2thumbsup: Since it is in an unfortunate location, I think  I will try one of these. (Thanks Doug!)
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1292306&cagpspn=pla

I have another friend who uses one for a bathroom pipe that always froze and its no longer a problem.

Offline BikingBrian

• Raccoon
« Reply #40 on: Jan 15, 13, 10:41:59 PM »
Wrightwood area residents need to be extra alert for neighbors homes during the next few days as temperatures begin to rise.
If you see any signs of water running near homes shut of the main for the house or call Golden State Water immediately so they can shut it off.
Water damage/salvage is extremely expensive.

If anyone is near my place, could you take a look? I have an access panel on the outside crawl space wall, where it's easy to see inside for any leaks and to reach the shutoff valve inside.

Online Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
Thawing Frozen Pipes & Preventing Water Damage by State Farm
« Reply #41 on: Jan 16, 13, 08:04:05 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vElmiC3gV4E?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowscriptaccess&quot; value=&quot;always&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;embed src=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/v/vElmiC3gV4E?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; width=&quot;853&quot; height=&quot;480&quot; allowscriptaccess=&quot;always&quot; allowfullscreen=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vElmiC3gV4E?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowscriptaccess&quot; value=&quot;always&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;embed src=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/v/vElmiC3gV4E?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; width=&quot;853&quot; height=&quot;480&quot; allowscriptaccess=&quot;always&quot; allowfullscreen=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;</a>

Offline tach18k

• Bear
« Reply #42 on: Jan 16, 13, 10:07:37 AM »
Since I am a weekender, one thing we do in the winter, is to shut the water off at the entry to the house, then open the hot and cold water in the kitchen to drain the house out of water. If we get a good freeze, the left over water will freeze but be able to expand in empty pipe, thus no  breaking. Sometimes the toilet tank gets frozen, but that is an easy fix. The main part of the house is heated, but only if it gets real cold.

Offline tcaarabians

• Raccoon
« Reply #43 on: Jan 17, 13, 01:04:53 PM »
Today,, in the somewhat warmer weather,  I fired up the irrigation systems. so we could do a walk about for anything broken.  To say that I am now crying is to put it mildly. Despite the fact that they were insulated and covered with more insulation and I drained them.. I have broken valves all over the place. I am not 'happy girl' right now. But, at least the problem is outside and not inside. I like to keep positive.

We did not have this problem in the "big snow" .. perhaps that snow offered insulation. And, I do think that our recent freeze was colder and longer at night than those previous freezes. Even though those temps went don't colder. I am just dismayed. But, I'm likely doing better than any folks that had their inside pipes freeze and break.

I guess I'll call Curt now (C.Ford Plumbing)  and sob.. and get myself on his list.  Just a bloody bummer. cheryl o7o

Offline MojaveSidecar

• Bear
« Reply #44 on: Jan 17, 13, 01:14:39 PM »
A contractor friend of mine just told me there were about 350 water related calls up here in WW.

Offline sharyn

• Bear
  • Phelan
« Reply #45 on: Jan 17, 13, 01:19:06 PM »
I have heard that leaving a sink to slowly drip will avoid frozen pipes.  Any of you know if that will work for outside pipes also, or would an outside faucet also need to be dripping?

Offline SkierBob

• Raccoon
  • Hangin' out Down the street
« Reply #46 on: Jan 17, 13, 02:48:34 PM »
I have heard that leaving a sink to slowly drip will avoid frozen pipes.  Any of you know if that will work for outside pipes also, or would an outside faucet also need to be dripping?

It works but if you have a septic tank you probably don't want to let it run any more then necessary.

Offline Nark

• Squirrel
« Reply #47 on: Jan 24, 13, 09:14:56 PM »
My water meter froze but did not burst and I used a friend's heater to 'melt' it.  A neighbor's meter froze and did burst.  The water Co. replaced her meter right away. 

Both meters are inside their concrete boxes, but they are at ground level and neither of them was insulated.  Another thing to remember in the fall - insulate my water meter.   :brickwall:

Offline jek134

• Scrub Jay
« Reply #48 on: Jan 24, 13, 09:59:06 PM »
Found out why we had no water pressure on Saturday after turning the main water valve back on. There was a huge crack in my water heater area (outside) and water was spilling out everywhere. Called Wrightwood Plumbing and Walter fixed the pipe today, but i won't be able to test it out until Saturday when we get up there. That freeze last week really caused a lot of headache! I hope our plumbing problems are solved....

Online Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 13, 08:06:06 AM »
From Jan 2013 freeze: