Author Topic: Big Pines History Photos  (Read 71485 times)

Offline Joe Schmoe

• Raccoon
Re: Big Pines History Photos
« Reply #40 on: Jan 15, 16, 01:14:10 AM »
Better resolution photos from: http://calisphere.cdlib.org .  Sorry for the duplication....I'd rather not have to go back and remove the lower resolution versions.  Same disclaimer as above regarding saving these if necessary...

Offline Joe Schmoe

• Raccoon
« Reply #41 on: Jan 15, 16, 01:17:33 AM »
I'll pick up on this tomorrow.  There are many more.  Some duplicates from earlier in the thread, some duplicates of my previous post.  That last link/source has some very nice high resolution scans of the pictures.  I think even the versions I'm posting are about 1/2 of the resolution of the original scans, but I can't see a way to pull the better versions out of the website's viewer. 

Offline Joe Schmoe

• Raccoon
« Reply #42 on: Jan 15, 16, 10:41:37 PM »
Apologies for any duplication.  The board Admin is welcome to remove any duplicates.

Big Pines Community kitchen

Big Pine Buffalo

Blue Ridge

Offline Joe Schmoe

• Raccoon
« Reply #43 on: Jan 15, 16, 11:01:08 PM »
These faill under the category of "Wrightwood".  The can be moved to an appropriate place.

Offline Joe Schmoe

• Raccoon
« Reply #44 on: Jan 15, 16, 11:06:36 PM »
Back to Big Pines, however the search term here is "Swartout".  Apologies for any duplicates.

Offline Joe Schmoe

• Raccoon
« Reply #45 on: Jan 15, 16, 11:15:22 PM »
From the California State Earthquake Investigation Commission Photographs collection, roughly 1900-1910.  The photos aren't very interesting unless you try to put yourself in the head of a geologist from near the turn of the century trying to connect what he/she sees to earthquakes

"Sliding land on the line of the rift a little west of head of Swarthout Valley, north slope"

"Ancient ridge on the rift near summit of mountains, leading from desert slope to head of Swartout [Swarthout]"

"Hollow extending across the mountain crest, west of Swarthout Valley, north slope of San Gabriel Range"

I'm attaching a few more from this same collection since I believe these are from the same expedition.  They look like they are Lone Pine Canyon and headed down to Lost Lake.  Relocate to a different thread if necessary.

"Looking down the canyon toward Lower Cajon Canyon."

"Ridge of Mesa gravels on line of the rift on the north side of the mouth of the Cajon Canyon."

This one is interesting since it looks like someone was harvesting and drying reeds in Lost Lake
"Looking east from lower end of canyon across lower end of Cajon Canyon Lake and meadow."

Offline Joe Schmoe

• Raccoon
« Reply #46 on: Jan 15, 16, 11:25:07 PM »
Hamilton and Nathan Swarthout, for whom the lodge/canyon is (mis)named.  Taken in the late 1800s

Hamilton

Nathan

Emma, Nathan's wife

Offline ForestGal

• Raccoon
  • Fight On!!
« Reply #47 on: Jan 16, 16, 12:06:37 AM »
Great bit of history there, Joe!  Thanks for sharing. 

Nanette

« Reply #48 on: Jan 16, 16, 08:58:59 AM »
Thank you, Joe!

Offline Joe Schmoe

• Raccoon
« Reply #49 on: Mar 15, 16, 09:43:01 PM »
Here's some interesting FILM footage labelled "JUNIOR DERBY DOG RACE" from 1931! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRxMdUNdDW8

11-year old wins annual juvenile dog race classic in Big Pines, California. A great crowd gathers along the course of the fifth junior derby to watch boys and their pets, the latter harnessed to sleds in a contest of speed and endurance. Not huskies but regular mutts star here, with Lou, Bobby Howard's flashy fox terrier, topping the field.
If I'm not mistaken, this is from Big Pines!

Offline Joe Schmoe

• Raccoon
« Reply #50 on: Mar 15, 16, 10:44:39 PM »
Awesome!  More film! https://archive.org/details/cubanc_000125

The first three minutes of the film is Big Pines, the remainder is Balboa.  It features:

- 00:00 - 01:06 Rangers working in the campgrounds
- 01:06 - 01:21 Brief shot of the ski jump adjacent to Jackson Lake, with a longer shot of Jackson lake and a vintage vehicle trundling down the road
- 01:21 - 01:37 Big Pines Ranger station and the arch, with moving vehicles.
- 01:33 Very quick shot west towards Wrightwood from the porch at the ranger station.
- 01:37 - 01:54 Fascination with a squirrel
- 01:54 - 02:23 Bears in a cage, being fed at the animal park.  Elk (I believe), buffalo and a friendly reindeer at the animal park
- 02:23 - 02:40 The very beginnings of the work to create Angeles Crest highway, probably about halfway from Inspiration point to Islip saddle.
- 02:40 - 02:47 Shots of the very same people with the telecope equipment featured in the photos earlier in this thread.  Both the photos and this video must have been shot by the same person.  INTERESTING!

Offline Joe Schmoe

• Raccoon
« Reply #51 on: Mar 16, 16, 12:43:18 AM »
Correction: not the same people with the telescope equipment as in earlier in the thread, but the same equipment.  I swear I ran across a still photo of those three people.  I think I must have misplaced that photo and omitted it by accident.

Offline Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
« Reply #52 on: Mar 16, 16, 08:04:40 AM »
Great find Joe!
Thanks for sharing

Offline Joe Schmoe

• Raccoon
« Reply #53 on: Mar 16, 16, 09:16:42 AM »
Corrections: the Angeles Crest shot is halfway between Inspiration Point and Vincent Gap.

Nanette

« Reply #54 on: Mar 16, 16, 06:59:21 PM »
Loved this! Thank you, Joe

Offline Joe Schmoe

• Raccoon
« Reply #55 on: Mar 17, 16, 12:40:50 AM »
Mt. High East (found these under Holiday Hill) from 1956

"Loading ski sled - Don Zentmeyer of Van Nuys helps lift emergency rescue sled on chair lift. Zentmeyer is past president of Hochgebirg Skiers and senior patrolman on Holiday Hill Ski Patrol.

"Answer morning roll call - Valley members of Holiday Hill Ski patrol answer roll call. From left are Sandy Greenhut, patrol leader; Bobbe Rumbaugh, Ted Carder, Dick Roodberg, Robert Clodfelter, Don Cady, Dick Davis, Don Zentmeyer, Harry Peterson and Dale Rumbaugh. They are now ready for day's work on hills.

"Patrolwoman answers call - With first aid belt around her waist, Mrs. Dale Rumbaugh of Van Nuys, veteran ski patrolwoman, fastens Arlberg safety strap before going on ski patrol at Holiday Hill, Wrightwood. Mrs. Rumbaugh has swerved with volunteer ski patrol three years.

"Youth in ski lesson -Atop Holiday Hill, Wrightwood, Tom Liddell, 10, Lancaster, takes his first ski lesson from Bruce Tobian, left, instructor from North Hollywood. Proud father Robert Liddell, veteran skier, watches with interest. Beginners and intermediate skiers "bone up" on gentle slopes 8,500 feet up before attempting one and a half mile run downhill.

"Leaving Holiday Hill chair lift - Sue Kromer, left, Burbank, and Marilyn Ayers of Northridge, stand on skies as they get off chair lift atop Holiday Hill, Wrightwood. Skiers ride cable-powered lift uphill to save energy for strenuous downhill run.

Merle

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 16, 05:07:23 PM »
These are great!  I remember Dale Rumbaugh.  I knew his sons!

Offline Jim Wilkins

• Raccoon
  • Looking forward to the next 45 years....
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 16, 08:08:42 PM »
I am fortunate to have two of those original chairs with numbers and the original paint.  One of these days they'll carry humans again as a swing.

Barb

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 16, 10:03:51 PM »
Wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing.

GRAHAM_RANCH

« Reply #59 on: Jun 19, 16, 12:16:28 AM »
AWESOME PICTURES, and tidbits of information! Great post! Thanks