Author Topic: FLEAS AND / OR TICKS IN WRIGHTWOOD?  (Read 16358 times)

Old

FLEAS AND / OR TICKS IN WRIGHTWOOD?
« on: Jul 03, 03, 07:59:55 PM »
A year ago my dogs were going nutz scratching and itching and I found they had fleas.  When I took them to Dr. Laura at that time she said there are no fleas in WW, that my dogs must have picked them up off the hill while on vacation.  Never have seen fleas except those brought home from visits down below. 

Now I would like to know if we have ticks up here? 

I don't want to go to another vet for the answer soooo...

Dogs are itching again... is it dry skin or.... ticks?

Do Wrightwoodians use Advantage or Frontline or one of the once a month goop between the shoulders stuff?

What about Lyme disease? 

Do dogs here get heartworms from the local mosquitos?

HAPPY 4th OF JULY!  NO FIREWORKS, PLEASE! 

Thanks    :)

rmekemson

Re: FLEAS AND / OR TICKS IN WRIGHTWOOD?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 03, 01:30:15 AM »
'Sorry I don't have all the answers to your questions, however I can tell you our experiences.

We've never seen fleas up here.  As you said, it would be possible to bring them up the hill with your animal if they visited an area infested with the critters.  Ticks, on the other hand, yes - if you and your dog go hiking in the areas around town you may get a tick attached to the animal.  We have found that our dogs suffer from dry skin, just like us, and require periodic skin treatment.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful and answer all of your questions.

Offline Nolena

• Raccoon
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 03, 01:17:43 AM »
There are no fleas or dust mites up here.
There is a chance of dogs fetting heartworm from the mosquitos. I know of at least one case in a local dog.
The deer have ticks. The ticks can be found on the brush in deer habitat. I found a tick on my dog after a hike once.
I've never heard of Lyme disease here.

clint

« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 03, 04:15:04 AM »
Just to expand on this info a little, fleas cannot live above about 5000' in elevation. Has something to do with air pressure and oxygen. So no mountain communities have fleas. I have had friends bring dogs up for visits and it seems to take about three days and the fleas are dead. There are numerous types of ticks. Deer ticks are the most common in our area. We have a very low tick population however. For one thing, ticks prefer a more humid environment -the Santa Monica Mountains are loaded with them- and, we have a low population of things they can live off of. If your dog is scratching all over, it's probably drfy skin. If the dog is working on one specific spot, look for a tick. As to Lyme desease, I have heard arguments both ways. We have it here, and we don't have it here.

Mountain_Witch

« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 03, 04:07:18 AM »
My dogs itch all the time from the same thing I itch from occasionally.................dry skin. There are products out there that you can bath them in or spray on them to help relieve this problem. The elevation has a lot to do with drying out everyone's skin and pets are no exception.

Offline Domingo

• Scrub Jay
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 09, 04:30:17 PM »
Just a heads up:  my wife and I took a walk yesterday just off of Swarthout Canyon Rd. at the bottom of LPC where the PCT starts to climb up the mountain from the desert floor.  Anyway while we were climbing PCT she got two ticks, which we didn't discover until today.  I went on the internet and discovered that it's best not to use heat (matches, cigarette, etc.), but rather a pointed tweezers to get them out.  I also discovered that there are about 5 or 6 different diseases that one can get from tick bites.  I was unable to get the both of them out whole (they hold on for dear life when you're pulling on them) and we're both looking for Lyme Disease symptoms (luckily none yet), which I know can delay weeks if not months to manifest if they do.  Has anyone else here been bitten by ticks and if so, what symptoms did you have and what did you do about it?  Any advice?

FIGHT ON

« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 09, 04:54:09 PM »
Just a heads up:  my wife and I took a walk yesterday just off of Swarthout Canyon Rd. at the bottom of LPC where the PCT starts to climb up the mountain from the desert floor.  Anyway while we were climbing PCT she got two ticks, which we didn't discover until today.  I went on the internet and discovered that it's best not to use heat (matches, cigarette, etc.), but rather a pointed tweezers to get them out.  I also discovered that there are about 5 or 6 different diseases that one can get from tick bites.  I was unable to get the both of them out whole (they hold on for dear life when you're pulling on them) and we're both looking for Lyme Disease symptoms (luckily none yet), which I know can delay weeks if not months to manifest if they do.  Has anyone else here been bitten by ticks and if so, what symptoms did you have and what did you do about it?  Any advice?
I've never been bitten by one. I carry these with me when I hike. Where I hiked yesterday there were a few that got on me and my friend. We saw them before they got on our skin and brushed them off.
Both of us were wearing shorts. I had like two on me but he had like six.
My thinking on using tweezers is that when you start to pull them out you are pulling directly against the way the tics barbs are set up. Twisting them with this cats paw shaped Tic Twister thing is like unscrewing a screw! And you don't squeeze their guts down into your body or break that thing off either.
I also heard that in California there isn't much chance for lime disease but if I got bit I would still go and see a doc just to be safe.

Offline Domingo

• Scrub Jay
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 09, 05:17:02 PM »
Dear Fight On, where did you buy the Tick Twister?  It looks like a product I'd like to have with me from now on when I hike.

Offline Elk

• Raccoon
  • Go PATS!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 09, 06:02:08 PM »
Dear Fight On, where did you buy the Tick Twister?  It looks like a product I'd like to have with me from now on when I hike.

I had the same question... I think I have an answer. Try this link.
http://www.ticktwister.com/order.html

I am thinking about buying the 16 pack and give them away to some friends who either hike or have dogs.

FIGHT ON

« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 09, 06:20:14 PM »
Yep! They almost weigh nothing! If I ever get one on a hike or find one the next day I will be ready!
Elk has posted the right place to order them. I hear you can get them at pet stores also.

:alert: (nobody ever called me Dear before!) :alert:

Offline Up Sheep Creek

• Squirrel
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 09, 09:37:58 PM »
Yikes.  After watching that video I am itchy all over.  I placed my order.  Years ago while hiking in the Vincent Gap area we stopped for a break and sat on a log, within a few minutes ticks were on us.  Thanks for the info.

Offline ChrisLynnet

• Raccoon
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 09, 07:35:43 AM »
I was bitten by one years ago in Dallas and had no ill effects, unless you count the "EWWWW!" factor. I wouldn't worry about lasting damage, although it wouldn't hurt to see the doctor if you're worried.

Offline cedar

• Scrub Jay
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 09, 03:20:29 AM »
I also discovered that there are about 5 or 6 different diseases that one can get from tick bites.  I was unable to get the both of them out whole (they hold on for dear life when you're pulling on them) and we're both looking for Lyme Disease symptoms (luckily none yet), which I know can delay weeks if not months to manifest if they do.  Has anyone else here been bitten by ticks and if so, what symptoms did you have and what did you do about it?  Any advice?

I know someone who is currently dealing with Lyme Disease (not from Wrightwood). I would look into the most current research about preventive treatment and be highly aggressive about treating it if you discover any symptoms.  She is now dealing with multiple complications.  Best wishes that you are just fine.

Offline K9luvr

• Raccoon
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 09, 07:51:20 PM »
Ticks can carry several different diseases, Lyme, rocky mountain spotted fever, erhlichiosis, babesia, etc.  If you have any ill feelings within a couple of weeks of being bitten by a tick, I'd get tested for ALL the diseases.  They can all have long term side effects but if are treated early, you can avoid these.  Flu like symtoms are the most common for all these diseases, achy, fever, vomiting, etc.  If you have erhlichiosis, and they only test you for Lymes, the Lymes will come up negative and they will send you home saying nothing is wrong...

campstertim

« Reply #14 on: Jun 14, 09, 05:32:03 PM »
This is also an effective tool for removing ticks.  It acts similarly to the tick twister mentioned above, but may be a bit easier to use for some.  Made of tempered steel, for them extra strong suckers!  Available just down the hill at REI.

http://www.rei.com/product/407279

The important thing about removing ticks, as already mentioned, is not to squeeze them.  If you do, they sometimes regurgitate (sp) back into you, thus spreading their disease.  Burning them with a match makes them burrow deeper to get away from the burn.

These tools act on straining pressure.  You're getting under the tick and pulling up, putting pressure on their jaw.  They release their bite as a reaction to the pressure on their jaw.  Pretty effective.

Just a side note, sometimes docs will ask if you have the tick for ID purposes.  Different ticks, different diseases.  A small plastic container takes up little space where you can carry the tick with you!

WWhermit

FIGHT ON

Tick Twister to the rescue.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 11, 10, 06:07:52 AM »
After hiking yesterday my buddy called me and said he had chest pain. Said he discovered that a tic was lodged into his nipple! At first I thought he was joking. He knew I had a tic twister so he drove over so I could remove it.
There it is!!

He heard that covering it with dish washing soap would smother it but after that didn't work he made a call to FIGHT ON!
the tic twister expert...
Actually this was the first time I had used it.
I carefully slid it under the tic and after one full twist it was out!
We put in on a piece of paper and it was still alive along with its two little blood sucking pinchers!
TIC TWISTER RULES DUDE!
tictures

Offline SkierBob

• Raccoon
  • Hangin' out Down the street
Re: Tick Twister to the rescue.
« Reply #16 on: Apr 11, 10, 07:00:37 AM »
 burned an image in my mind I'd rather not have

I would have prefered the tick chose I different host

Mandy Moore

Offline Snowbird

• Raccoon
  • life is full of ups and downs... and of beauty!
Re: Tick Twister to the rescue.
« Reply #17 on: Apr 11, 10, 07:53:19 AM »
Hi FIGHT ON!

Good your buddy contacted you soon and you got the tick out.
But still: it would be a good thing for him to see a doctor. Just in case.
A borreliosis is nothing to trifle with!

Best regards,
Snowbird

Offline liz

• Scrub Jay
Ticks
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 12, 08:36:40 PM »
Do ticks live around here? I have a friend visiting with a long haired dog.

FIGHT ON

Re: Ticks
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 12, 08:45:22 PM »

anything