Author Topic: RadioShack's slow, painful death  (Read 14458 times)

Chesslike

RadioShack's slow, painful death
« on: Jul 31, 12, 07:41:48 AM »
RadioShack's slow, painful death
The company just posted a horrible quarter and suspended its dividend. There's little hope it can turn things around in this age of 'showrooming' and online buying.

By Kim Peterson Fri 3:03 PM

All hope is lost for RadioShack (RSH -0.39%). The stock is trading below $3 and on its way to zero.

Analysts have turned on the company, and with good reason. It has simply lost its direction. That became clear this week after RadioShack suspended its dividend and swung to a $21 million loss in its second quarter from a $25 million profit a year earlier.

Shares fell to an all-time low of $2.46 after the earnings were announced. They recovered to $2.64 Friday. A year ago, shares were $14.

RadioShack made a big bet on smartphones earlier, and that's what's keeping the company hanging on. People are going there to buy cheaper, lower-margin phones. Mobile phone sales rose 3.3% in the quarter, but that wasn't enough to offset the 26.5% plunge in sales of other consumer electronics.

Analyst Michael Lasser of UBS thinks RadioShack is suffering from an identity problem. It's tried to become a phone and mobility product seller, but that hasn't resonated with consumers, Lasser wrote in a recent note. He lowered his price target on the stock to $2 from $3. "RSH's efforts to address its problems reflects 'more of the same' thinking," he wrote.

RadioShack still has 4,700 stores across the country, often in small strip malls with low rent. The stores don't have much traffic, and half of their space seems devoted to phones at this point. When I go into a RadioShack store (which isn't often, I admit), I get immediately approached by the overly aggressive sales staff asking to help. There isn't much opportunity for browsing or spontaneous purchases; you get what you need and leave.

RadioShack's profit margin tumbled in its most recent quarter to 37.8% from 45.9%.

The Motley Fool thinks RadioShack could improve its business by selling things that people actually want to buy, such as an Apple (AAPL +1.90%) iPhone service desk or a universal remote programming station. That might generate more interest than sales of batteries or remote-controlled cars. "The only problem is that doing something that logical might cost the company its prized title as the worst retailer ever," writes a snarky Michael Lewis.

Maybe RadioShack could become the Brookstone of electronics accessories, selling higher-end items you don't need but that seem pretty nifty. It's a long shot.

RadioShack is trying to sell itself to shoppers again. Its launching a new advertising campaign soon asking the question "Why RadioShack?" It may be able to improve awareness of its brand, but that won't help two of RadioShack's biggest problems: People buy electronics online and from big-box retailers, and the business of selling cheap, low-margin phones has no future.

http://money.msn.com/investment-advice/article-4.aspx?post=7383023b-dd79-4422-9a11-177c06e1ada3

Offline Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
Re: RadioShack's slow, painful death
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 12, 08:13:37 AM »
Once Radio Shack got away from do it yourself radio equipment they started to fail in my opinion. No longer could you go in and buy antenna parts, wire, electronic components for repair, radios or scanners.

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/history.html

Lots of fond memories of Radio Shack

Offline Mrs. Hillbilly

• Raccoon
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 12, 08:44:06 AM »
Didn't see this coming....  ::)

Where's Lonelyguy going to hang out?  :-\

Offline Leftfield

• Raccoon
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 12, 09:51:13 AM »
I remember when the volume control knob on my car's AM went out.  I went down to RS and with some help of their staff and friends, I was able to rebuild and replaced the knob.  It wasnt perfect.  It jiggled around a bit but it worked.  Good enough for a then teener. 

As time passed, things got better or made in a way that it wasnt easy to fix or replace.  Things became more and more disposable.  The staff were becoming like vultures trying to get me to buy something that wasnt reasonable or affordable.  Eventually, I usually avoid RS altogether. 

Unless the place is a good restaurant, the days of mom and pop stores and small chains are soon coming to an end. We will be then, as consumers, in an undesirable place. 

Offline ChattyCathy

• Raccoon
  • Your Damsel in Defense Pro
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 12, 10:23:51 AM »
We were the first on the block with a TRS-80 and had to learn DOS.  I've since forgotten all of it.

Offline RennMan

• Raccoon
  • N4MAN
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 12, 03:43:01 PM »
Some Radio Shacks are better than others, but sadly they seem all be going downhill.  The best one I ever encountered was in Derby, Kansas, just south of Wichita.  The owner and three salespeople were all Amateur radio operators, and really knew their product.

Many times I get a "deer in the headlights" look if I ask for something other than a battery or adapter plug, and it doesn't seem to matter which RS I was visiting.  I think the days of sales people taking pride in their product and actually LEARNING about what they sell, is all but gone.

More's the pity, too...

daf

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 12, 03:57:21 PM »
The best one I ever encountered was in Derby, Kansas, just south of Wichita.

I can't believe Derby Ks gets mentioned on the Forum.  My family was from Mulvane and we went into the "big city" of Derby for their selections of Restaurants.

Offline K9luvr

• Raccoon
« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 12, 08:05:54 PM »
My dad was a manager at a company operated radio shack back in the early 70's.  It was a tough neighborhood and he could never get all the supplies he ordered.  I thought they were a crappy company back then and quite frankly, I'm surprised they lasted this long.  And this was in what is now the "silicone valley" and this was at the begininning of the big uptick in electronics.  The more I think about it, the worse it gets   ::) 

Offline baseballfan

• Scrub Jay
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 12, 09:37:29 AM »
We have one of those traditional Canon 35mm cameras that uses actual FILM, no digital stuff on this one, and a few weeks back I told my son to go get me a new battery for it.  I gave him $10...usually they're about $7.  He went over to the Phelan RS and he calls me from there and tells me the RS guy told him the battery is $50.  What!??  I tell my son to come back home without buying it because that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Later in the week, I go to Rite Aid and get a battery for $6.99.  Now,  this isn't the only place who hires young kids who know very little about the industry for which they work.   I needed film for this same camera and asked my son (another son) to stop by Walgreens or Rite Aid to get me some.  He went to Sears (why...I'm still not sure)  and the electronics guy said they don't MAKE that kind of film anymore!  Really??  Really????  So my son, who thinks these guys must know what they're talking about since they work there, tells me I won't be able to find film anywhere.  I chuckle because I know I will and the next day, I bring home a 3 pack from Rite Aid. 

I feel bad for RS and for all these stores that we used to go rely on, as others have said, but I can't help but think that the employees that work there have been a big reason why they're going under.  It's not the employees fault really...it's the folks that  hire them. 

~Laura

Offline Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 14, 07:58:39 AM »
NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
Electronics retailer Radio Shack plans to close as many as 1,100 stores -- or nearly 20% of its locations.

The company said Tuesday that the closings will leave it with more than 4,000 stores, including 900 operated as franchise locations.

Radio Shack also reported that sales at stores open at least a year fell 19% in the last quarter, which included the important holiday shopping period. It blamed the drop on traffic declines and weak sales of mobile devices such as cell phones. Its net loss in the period roughly tripled.

Radio Shack has one of the largest footprints of any U.S. retailer, with about 5,200 locations in the United States. Company filings say that more than 90% of the U.S. population lives or works within minutes of a Radio Shack location. By comparison, Wal-Mart (WMT, Fortune 500), the nation's largest retailer, has about 3,700 U.S. stores, while Best Buy (BBY, Fortune 500), one of Radio Shack's major competitors in the electronics sector, has 1,400 U.S. locations.

Radio Shack has 27,500 employees worldwide. The number of jobs that will be lost in the store closings was not disclosed, nor were the locations.

Radio Shack has also publicly admitted its current stores are out of date and in need of a massive overhaul. Its Super Bowl ad this year was a self-deprecating acknowledgment that its stores are stuck in the 1980s. It has closed about 100 U.S. stores each of the last two years.

Brick-and-mortar retailers, especially those in electronics such as Radio Shack and Best Buy (BBY, Fortune 500) have faced particularly tough competition from online retailers such as Amazon (AMZN, Fortune 500) in recent years. Shoppers are likely to engage in a practice known as "showrooming" in which they go to a brick-and-mortar store to look at a product, but then purchase it online, generally at a lower price. Best Buy is also in the process of closing stores as part of its own cost-cutting effort.

Shares of Radio Shack (RSH) plunged more than 18% in early trading Tuesday on the news.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/04/news/companies/radioshack-store-closings/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Offline raddog

• Bear
  • I love Wrightwood
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 14, 04:49:20 PM »
Dealing with electronic stores in general makes me sick to my stomach. The only reasons I go to a Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc. is to waste time. Most things that you buy at Radio Shack such as batteries, cables, etc. you can buy for about half the price online. This goes the same for Best Buy, and lets not forget those other retailers that (restructured), Circuit City, Comp USA, The Good Guys just to name a few. I remember once I went to a Best Buy to waste some time, and I started talking to another customer. They wanted to know how much I got paid at Best Buy, they thought I was an employee!!!

Anyways the only way that Brick and Mortar stores are going to survive is if they offer the same prices in the stores as they do online. More and more people are using sites such as Amazon, Newegg, and TigerDirect to buy their electronic devices. It is always fun though to go to a store and see what the new gadgets out are.

Offline Danimal

• Mouse
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 14, 07:33:18 PM »
There was a time (70s or before) when Radio Shack was an electronics store. You could actually go in and find parts that you might want. Now it is a cell phone store with a few trinkets to keep old customers coming back. It would be nice to have a well stocked electronics store but they are a rare breed. The default becomes Fry's or online shopping at Digikey, Newark, Mouser, or one of the other giant warehouses. Regrettable but life as it now is.

Offline Leftfield

• Raccoon
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 14, 10:03:51 PM »
Heres an article that has a 1991 Radio Shack newspaper ad.   Everything that was for sale in that ad can now be done on your smartphone.  check it out at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-cichon/radio-shack-ad_b_4612973.html

I, too, remember making radios, garage door openers, fixing my AM radio and TV from parts from Radio Shack.   Unfortunately things are so high tech these days that I cant imagine putting together my own cellphone. 

Offline Cheapskate

• Bear
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 14, 06:47:55 AM »
There was a time (70s or before) when Radio Shack was an electronics store. You could actually go in and find parts that you might want. Now it is a cell phone store with a few trinkets to keep old customers coming back. It would be nice to have a well stocked electronics store but they are a rare breed. The default becomes Fry's or online shopping at Digikey, Newark, Mouser, or one of the other giant warehouses. Regrettable but life as it now is.

Electronics Warehouse in Riverside (Main St. near Spruce, half mile north of downtown) absolutely rocks.

Offline Moose

• Bear
  • The Moose is Loose
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 14, 06:53:19 AM »
In Orange County there are two stores that are truly electronics stores and carry a wide selection of electronic parts and accessories. 

Mar Vac in Costa Mesa and Orvac in Fullerton.

Offline Leftfield

• Raccoon
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 15, 10:34:50 AM »
There are close to 2000 Radio Shack stores listed on a court's Chapter 11 document that are slated to be closed.  I dont see the Phelan store listed.  Im hoping for the best for all.   :sweatdrop:

joemsosa

« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 15, 10:49:35 AM »
They abandoned their core business.

Offline Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 15, 09:04:22 AM »
Potential store closure list

http://radioshackcorporation.com/pdfs/RS-Store-Closure-List_020415.pdf

Phelan store not listed but Victorville store on Bear Valley is listed

Offline RennMan

• Raccoon
  • N4MAN
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 15, 01:22:15 PM »
Here is a link to another website, with stores in alphabetical order by state, then city.

http://qz.com/340292/here-are-all-the-stores-radioshack-is-closing/

I am glad to see our local Phelan store has been spared, at least at the moment.  Looks like the one in the VV Mall is a goner, as well as stores in Apple Valley and Hesperia.

I'm also glad to see the store in Derby, KS has been spared.  That is probably the best one I ever went into.  Several years back, the owner and all the salespeople were Amateur Radio operators.  These people knew their stuff!

Offline lagomorphmom

• Raccoon
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 15, 03:49:12 PM »
Would be equally interesting to see the list of those spared (so far).