Author Topic: Health Food Store Coming to Wrightwood?  (Read 5660 times)

Offline ARLittle

• Mouse
Health Food Store Coming to Wrightwood?
« on: Dec 28, 12, 08:34:49 PM »
  Anyone else as excited as I am?  :)  :o

Offline Nolena

• Raccoon
Re: Health Food Store Coming to Wrightwood?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 12, 08:36:14 PM »
Waiting........

Offline TimG

• Raccoon
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 12, 09:58:41 PM »
We're skeptical but extremely hopeful that a little town like this can sustain a store like that!

Offline Agape

• Bear
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 12, 10:07:17 PM »
I am hoping to check it out when they open.

Offline Cheapskate

• Scrub Jay
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 12, 07:20:21 AM »
Success guaranteed if it gets a liquor license   :)

Offline Firefly65

• Scrub Jay
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 12, 08:31:47 AM »
I hope this store is the one a friend has told me about !!  I am looking forward to this!

Offline Nolena

• Raccoon
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 12, 12:35:35 PM »
Success guaranteed if it gets a liquor license   :)

Organic wine only....  ;)

Offline ARLittle

• Mouse
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 12, 01:23:23 PM »
Organic wine only....  ;)

Organic and sulfate free :)

Offline lil red

• Scrub Jay
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 13, 07:31:17 AM »
This is the first I have heard... Very exciting.... Do you have any details? Where and when etc?

Offline crazylola

• Mouse
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 13, 08:23:19 AM »
Let's support this new effort even if we need to pay a bit more for something we would need to drive miles to get elsewhere.  I can't wait!!!

Offline Agape

• Bear
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 13, 08:58:15 PM »
Opens tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. Let's support these guys! They have a great variety of gluten free, organic foods and non-dairy items.  PACIFIC CREST HEALTH FOODS located across from Fire Mt Ceramics, on Park Drive

Offline TimG

• Raccoon
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 13, 09:50:20 PM »
Can't make it tomorrow, but would like to stop by soon.  Anyone know the store's hours?

Offline MountainMom

• Bear
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 13, 10:34:45 PM »
Very excited!!  Am eager to support them!

Offline Pac-Fan

• Raccoon
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 13, 08:55:56 AM »
There are no significant health benefits to eating gluten-free or organic diets, according to scientific analysis done by ASU and Stanford researchers.

ASU Healthy Lifestyles Research Center Director Glenn Gaesser published an article in August, concluding that the recent trend toward gluten-free dieting has no real benefits for health or weight loss.

“For the vast majority of Americans, there is literally no published scientific evidence that would suggest that gluten-free is a healthier alternative than what they are currently eating,” Gaesser said.

Research began after Gaesser became concerned about weight-loss promises made by celebrity endorsers of the gluten-free diet, he said.

“We’re spending $2.6 million a year for something that looks like it is a complete waste of time for the vast majority of people,” Gaesser said.

The gluten-free diet is an essential medical treatment for sufferers of Celiac disease, a genetically inherited autoimmune disorder that causes an inability to digest wheat proteins, Gaesser said.

According to a report by the National Institute of Health, about 1 percent of Americans suffer from Celiac disease.

Food Allergy Talk club at ASU Vice President William Langenbach is one of these people.

“Since I am completely reliant on gluten-free food, I like and encourage the new trend in gluten-free dieting,” Langenbach said.

The biomedical engineering freshman said he concedes that a gluten-free diet is not intrinsically healthier than other diets.

However, he said people on gluten-free diets tend to have healthier eating habits and have an overall healthier lifestyle.

“The behavioral change of cutting out fast and hyper-processed foods from one’s diet probably plays a bigger role in the supposed ‘weight loss’ of gluten-free dieting than does eating gluten-free bread,” Langenbach said.

The benefits of eating organic meats and produce has also been questioned after a study done by Stanford researchers concluded that health differences between organic and non-organic foods probably do not justify the extra cost.

Pete Goldman, policy officer of the Real Food Club at ASU, said the Stanford study has drawn much ire from organic food enthusiasts.

“This study has riled so many people up, but it really only included studies from large organic factory farms which still used (organic) pesticides and it failed to factor in smaller organic farms,” Goldman said.

The sustainability graduate student said many local farmers technically grow organic foods, but can’t afford to pay the fees they need to have certified organic farms.

The Stanford study, which appeared in the Annals of Internal Medicine in September, concluded that there are no pronounced differences in the nutrition value of organically and non-organically grown produce.

“People don’t necessarily buy organic because it is way more nutritious, they buy it because it has less pesticides and because it is better for the environment,” Goldman said.

Offline ARLittle

• Mouse
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 13, 09:46:29 AM »
@PAC-fan... It will just be nice to have some alternatives to the same old over processed, corn based junk.   More importantly, responsibly produced and LOCAL.   I can't see why anyone would be anything but supportive. 

Offline teacherquinn

• Bear
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 13, 11:16:11 AM »
@PAC-fan... It will just be nice to have some alternatives to the same old over processed, corn based junk.   More importantly, responsibly produced and LOCAL.   I can't see why anyone would be anything but supportive. 

Agreed. Looking forward to it.

Offline Surfer_Dude

• Raccoon
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 13, 12:14:37 PM »
I was lucky enough to know the owners and get a sneak peek.  I was surprised at how much they already had in stock.   I bought some organic ice cream and I am sure I will be healthier soon. ;)
Here is their FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacific-Crest-Health-Foods/324348044347290
The hours were posted on the Wrightwood FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/wrightwood/?fref=ts
Hours are 9-7 Monday-Saturday and 11-5 on Sundays

Offline cookiesforthree

• Bear
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 13, 01:51:39 PM »
Regarding gluten free:  I don't eat a lot of fast foods or processed junk. Most of everything we eat I make from scratch, breads, muffins, salad dressings, etc. When I went gluten free (I do not have celiacs nor have I tested positive for any food allergies) I lost 89 pounds. I ate only lean protein, leafy green veggie, low glycemic fruits, olive and coconut oil and lots of water. My labs are great and I feel great. I did do organic in the beginning but found they were way to expensive to do all the time.

I'm hoping that with enough business this new store in town will have reasonable pricing for organics and humainly raised meats.

Offline Trekker

• Mouse
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 13, 04:15:23 PM »
My wife and I went in today and were very impressed with the selection of items. The prices are high, but it's a small store that can't buy in the same volume as chain stores (even Trader Joe's). Of course, organic and natural are code for higher priced as well, but I can't disagree with the axiom "you get what you pay for." The coffee ice cream is killer!

Offline Pac-Fan

• Raccoon
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 13, 10:52:37 PM »
Corn based junk?  So now it's corn turn over the barrel?  The other day it was gluten and whatever happened to the peanut allergy.... Haven't heard a case in quite some time.  Guess that whole peanut issue is resolved..
I am not putting down this new store, just trying to point out that people get too freaked out about this diet stuff.

Eat healthy and exercise.... :2thumbsup:

Offline Mama Lesa

• Mouse
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 13, 07:45:28 AM »
We went into the store yesterday afternoon - super nice!  They have a wonderful selection of foods and the produce looked amazing!  I will definitely be returning!

Shannon was great, friendly and welcoming.  Jamie gives a great massage too, definitely will be doing that again.

We should all do what we can to support this new business to make sure they stay open.

Offline crazylola

• Mouse
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 13, 07:57:07 AM »
I couldn't agree more and have not even been there yet.  I am planning to do so today. 

Offline la la

• Scrub Jay
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 13, 10:53:50 AM »
Quote from: ARLittle on Yesterday at 09:46:29 AM
Corn based junk?  So now it's corn turn over the barrel?  The other day it was gluten and whatever happened to the peanut allergy.... Haven't heard a case in quite some time.  Guess that whole peanut issue is resolved..
I am not putting down this new store, just trying to point out that people get too freaked out about this diet stuff.

Eat healthy and exercise.... 
 ^^^this guy^^^ wow.......someone needs a hug.
I absolutely love the new store! Great selection! In fact, some items I see are the regular market and had no idea they were organic. Going back for orange blood ice cream today!

Offline Up Sheep Creek

• Bear
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 13, 12:17:35 PM »
Pacific Crest Health Food?  Is this the same name as the eastside neighborhood? 

Offline Dave C

• Scrub Jay
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 13, 01:33:27 PM »
Pacific Crest Health Food?  Is this the same name as the eastside neighborhood?

Yes, but that's because they are both named after the Pacific Crest Trail, which runs along the top of Wright Mountain. And I've heard from someone that the health food store plans on catering to the PCT thru-hikers, so that name would be quite appropriate.