Author Topic: Runaway trains in Cajon Pass  (Read 12350 times)

Offline Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
Runaway trains in Cajon Pass
« on: Nov 13, 06, 02:19:41 PM »
Cajon Pass has had it's share of runaway trains and it's likely more will take place in the future.

Here's a short movie on the last 3 runaway trains on Cajon Pass (4.6meg)

http://www.incidentcontrol.com/disaster/CajonTrainWrecks.wmv

(not sure where they get the name El Cajon Pass)

Thanks EJFudd for finding the footage  :thumbs:

More stills can be found here:
http://photos.orr.noaa.gov/gallery_4/incidents-18.htm
Wrightwood Forum is the first & most dependable local social media outlet

rdnckgrl78

Re: Runaway trains in Cajon Pass
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 06, 02:28:30 PM »
WOW that was interesting

MtnDude

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 06, 04:18:11 PM »
Great find EJFudd!!!!

Thanks for sharing Wrightwood. :2thumbsup:

I remember when we first moved to Wrightwood in 1996, there was a train derailment near the 15 & 138.  Some of the rail cars were tankers filled with chemicals, and they were leaking.  This derailment and clean-up closed the 138 for the better part of a week. 

Offline Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 06, 04:28:15 PM »
I also remember the train derailment, February 1996 and was glad to see it documented in this video.

Yea it was my job to reduce it from 354 meg down to less than 5 meg. I'm glad it worked!

Offline WWMtnGal

• Raccoon
  • Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful)
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 06, 04:37:51 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing this with us!  Really interesting and yes I too can remember the derailment in 1996 and the derailment in San Bernardino (Muscoy) that took out all of those homes.

Offline ForestGal

• Raccoon
  • Fight On!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 06, 04:42:23 PM »

I remember when we first moved to Wrightwood in 1996, there was a train derailment near the 15 & 138.  Some of the rail cars were tankers filled with chemicals, and they were leaking.  This derailment and clean-up closed the 138 for the better part of a week. 

I remember that incident too.  I worked in San Bernardino then, missed 3 days of work, and got reimbursed my full pay by BNSF!  :laugh:

Thanks for posting this, Wrightwood.

Hillbillies

« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 06, 08:37:50 PM »
I wonder why the video did not talk about the death toll. (maybe I missed it)  I remember the 96' wreck, and there were at least three who lost their lives that night.  You can see three white crosses from the south bound 15 about a mile from the 138 exit. 

Is "El Cajon" the same as "The Cajon?"  Is "Cajonies" the same as "Cojones."  I don't know...

Anyways, speaking of train wrecks, and cajonies, I think the forum has had it's fair share of "train wreck" sob stories, and only some of us have the "cojones" to make fun of them!

Offline Local

• Squirrel
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 06, 09:59:37 PM »

Offline ForestGal

• Raccoon
  • Fight On!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 06, 10:15:29 PM »
I remember pop’s telling us stories of having to dig through, carrot and tomato trucks that had been hit on 138. When you had to cross the tracks and not go over them like know.
Can you all imagine having to stop on 138 for trains now?

Local

Wow, does this bring back memories or what?  When we first moved here, almost 30 years ago, I don't know how many times I had to wait for trains on my commute to work in San Bernardino.  And of course, the later I was running, the longer that dang freight train would be.  Was really glad when the overpass was installed.

kew

« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 06, 10:18:54 PM »
Wow, does this bring back memories or what?

Those aren't memories. Those are Nightmares >:(

wwpt

« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 06, 06:51:10 AM »

Thanks Wrightwood and Elmer :thumbs:....Excellent footage and pics. I just e-mailed them to an instructor I just finished a course up with on train safety  in Kansas at the  RailRoad Technical Training Institute and he didn't have much info on the Cajon Pass way out here in California. I'm sure this will help his presentation.

Offline Nolena

• Raccoon
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 06, 07:21:46 AM »
How about a little explanation on what we're seeing in the pictures (the equipment).
And are baseball caps required?  ;)

ezzpete

« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 06, 07:59:06 AM »

And are baseball caps required?  ;)

only if you drive a lifted pick up truck, but it should be worn backwards.

wwpt

« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 06, 08:26:15 AM »

Ooops. Sawwy....Ok, In the classroom pic The three in the fore ground facing the camera (Tan sweater, red shirt, & blk n grey jersey are Martin Murietta employees from Arkansas who weren't sure why their company sent them there, They couldn't wait to get out of class so they could go to  the Cabellas and Bass Pro Shop ;D) the rest are Safety Inspectors from major RR's who were taking  a class on Air Brake  Inspections and how to recognize problems with train brakes.

The rolling cart contains all the  Brake components of a train car and with handheld computers we would check out the whole sytem and then each part when we encountered a problem (which the instructor could arrange by turning hidden valves on and off). There were dozens of these carts which the instructor would sabotage and then we would have to diagnose the problem. 

The final exam had us inspecting a full size car (below) in the class and we had to find all the defects on it to get our certificate. Along with a lengthy written test.
    I got a 98%! :)

Below is a picture of the campus. It was 4* with wind chills at -35*. That's why were all wearing hats.

anything