Author Topic: Air Quality  (Read 6836 times)

Offline BikingBrian

• Bear
Air Quality
« on: Oct 25, 07, 08:04:47 AM »
How's the air up in WW?  With the winds changing direction, it seems to have taken a turn for the areas in OC away from the fires.

Hillbillies

Re: Air Quality
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 07, 08:27:40 AM »
When I left this morning it was good.  I just spoke to my wife and she did not mention smoke.  Over here in the high desert it is really smokey.

Chesslike

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 07, 08:28:20 AM »
National Outlook for October 25-26
Unhealthy Particle Pollution Levels in Southern California

Thursday, October 25 - Friday, October 26: In southern California, multiple wildfires will lead to widespread Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups particle pollution levels throughout the region with isolated areas near San Diego reaching Unhealthy AQI levels. In addition, an upper-level ridge of high pressure in the West will limit mixing, allowing pollutants to build up near the surface. As a result, some cities in northern California as well as isolated cities in Utah, Colorado, and Texas will reach Moderate AQI levels for particles. Gusty winds and blowing dust will lead to Moderate AQI levels in the Phoenix area.

In the eastern U.S., an upper-level ridge or high pressure over the Midwest will limit vertical mixing, allowing pollutants to build up near the surface and resulting in Moderate AQI levels for much of Michigan and Ohio on Friday. Air quality is expected to be Good throughout the rest of the country.

Health Tip:
Cut back on strenuous outdoor exercise when air quality is expected to be unhealthy. Exercise during the early morning or late evening hours when ozone levels are at the lowest levels of the day. This is especially important for children and other sensitive groups. The booklet, Air Quality Index - A Guide to Air Quality and Your Health, contains information about the health effects of the five most common air pollutants, and how to avoid those effects.
How You Can Help: Reduce or eliminate fireplace and wood stove use when particle pollution levels are expected to be high. Reduce vehicle use.
Source: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

Offline WWMtnGal

• Raccoon
  • Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful)
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 07, 08:29:06 AM »
You can smell the smoke and see it off to the distance but I tell you what, in North San Benardino it is so bad you think it is fog!

angiepoo

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 07, 08:40:06 AM »
It seems pretty smokey up here and looks hazey.  I can definately smell it.

kk_gizmo

« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 07, 10:36:48 AM »
Down here in Riverside, the breeze seems to be bringing it in from the coast now. Early in the week we were innundated with the Lake Arrowhead smoke. It looks like the standard marine layer stuff, except it's brown and it hurts to breathe. My eyes have been burning since Monday morning and most of the people I've talked to are waking up with headaches. If you can get to or stay in a clear air area, best to do so.

Offline ChrisLynnet

• Raccoon
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 07, 11:39:49 AM »
You can smell smoke up here and there is a brownish tinge to the sky, but it's nothing like it is down below.

kew

« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 07, 04:18:51 PM »
What is the air quality in the village? We are in Phelan, 1 mile North of Stater's and cannot see the WW mountain. The air here is really fowl. We may need to go to WW if the air their is any better.

fiendishsquirrel

« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 07, 04:31:01 PM »
not seeing for myself what the air looks like in Phelan, I think it is better up here.  You can smell smoke, and the sky is dingy brown looking.  But with the altitude, I think we're getting much less of the thick stuff.

rdnckgrl78

« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 07, 05:17:09 PM »
I agree the air is much better here in WW.

kew

« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 07, 05:22:43 PM »
Thank you both for your responses.

Offline ForestGal

• Raccoon
  • Fight On!!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 07, 05:47:45 PM »
I had to go to Phelan about noon today - it was much hazier down there than it was up here.  Right now it's pretty hazy here too, but probably not as much so as in Phelan.  No breeze at all here now.

Offline Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 07, 06:35:00 PM »
Just got back from Phelan and the air is much worse in Wrightwood this afternoon.

Offline RobertW

• Raccoon
  • Clear Skies!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 07, 06:51:45 PM »
The air here in the SF Valley is terrible.  I understand that down near Newport Beach the ash has mixed with the fog and put a coating on everything.  Cars use their windshield wipers and it smears it all over the windows.  Can't be good for the finish.

Offline ForestGal

• Raccoon
  • Fight On!!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 07, 07:37:24 PM »
I think that today was the worst day for Wrightwood, smoke wise.  Still not bad, when we consider what could have happened.  Our village is intact, and I think we should all just praise the Lord that we are safe.