Author Topic: Road Condition News (discussion)  (Read 1916551 times)

wwpt

Road Condition News (discussion)
« on: Dec 09, 07, 12:22:32 PM »

The side roads are still pretty slippery in town...especially the uphills. No sign of any plowing. I've watched a number of cars (some of them 4X4's) turn around after trying unsuccessfully to get up Spruce above the rise at Oriole. 
      I heard Cal-Trans won't send out the plows until there's at least 4 inches of snow.   

Addendum at 12:29 -- Woops!....There goes a plow finally.

Offline Elk

• Raccoon
  • Go PATS!
Re: Road Condition News (discussion)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 10, 09:54:18 PM »
Incident:  3205 Type: Traffic Collision - Ambulance Responding Location: BIG PINES HWY JNO ANGELES CREST HWY ThomasBrothers: 4561 6E info as of: 2/11/2010 9:47:59 PM
ADDITIONAL DETAILS
7:58PM 1039 TO COUNTRY WIDE TOWING ER ETA 30-45 DEPENDING ON ICY ROAD
7:56PM 89-3B HAS A 10 MIN ETA
7:55PM BARSTOW IS LL REQ ETA PL S
7:39PM SOLO 95 NISS PK VS MOUNTAIN O/TURNED BLK G RDWY
RESPONDING OFFICERS STATUS
9:36PM CHP Unit On Scene

klquinn

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 10, 07:58:20 AM »
This is the notice for the Traffic Task Force for this weekend.  Sounds busy-

Based on the new snow yesterday and today (12 to 16 inches) and the upcoming holiday weekend Mountain High Resort will reach it's capacity on Feb 13th, 14th and 15th. Mountain High Resort has hired two CHP officers for each of the before mentioned days to help with traffic flow and illegal parking along Hwy 2. Mountain High Resort will be using a portable message sign, street level banners and electronic media to convey our parking and ticket status to the public. In addition to Mountain High Resort being very busy this weekend the snow play activity will be extreme from Hwy 2 & 138 all the way to the closer area on Hwy 2 past Mountain High Resort due to the new snow. This holiday weekend has the potential to be the busiest weekend of the year!

Yikes! It's a beautiful day! I came home yesterday via Valyermo (Friday 4pm) and the snowplayers were out. Not many, but I think it was a sign of a very busy weekend. It's beautiful during the day but still rather slick after dark so be careful on the ice!

We're taking advantage of the nice weather to load up the scooters and head to San Diego. Have a wonderful weekend all!

snwbnny

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 10, 08:39:46 AM »
Has anyone been out there today? I'm not seeing much traffic on the live cams but I was just curious if anyone had been out and about and seen it firsthand. Hubby has to go out to Verdugo Pines today so wasn't sure if he was going to sit in traffic to do it . . .

wwpt

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 10, 08:46:44 AM »

I Flew right up 2, didn't see any snowplayers. The light traffic was mostly heading toward the ski area.

snowave

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 10, 09:10:09 AM »
While I think it will be busy later today, I don't think it will be completely slammed like some predicted. The weather is too nice in the basin today, and I think people are doing other things to spread out ther weekend activities.

Offline Toolman

• Raccoon
  • You can't fix stupid
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 10, 07:30:23 AM »
Didn't know were to post this but it is road related and noticed it on the message board by Mtn High also so it may as well go here.

During all of last week a big thank you to Caltrans for reminding drivers on the freeways using the message boards through out the southland freeway system. There were several vehicle vrs. car related accidents recently resulting in fatalities and all vehicles involved were at fault by not seeing the motorcyclist.

"Share the Road, Look Twice for Motorcyclists"

snowave

« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 10, 01:13:42 PM »
That's nice for down in the city, but to have something about motorcycles on the board up here in February is not prioritizing very well. It could be utilized alot better.. like having it say something like "illegal parking violators will be ticketed or towed".

I realize CHP and Cal-Trans are different agencies, and they have limitations on what it can say... but there has got to be a way to have it say something a little more pertinent that is within those limitations.

Calindy

« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 10, 03:52:55 PM »
BREAKING NEWS ALERT

Southbound I-15 closed after motorcycle crash

HESPERIA -

A speeding motorcycle triggered a multi-vehicle crash on Interstate 15 south of the Highway 395 interchange around noon Monday, witnesses report, turning the southbound side of the freeway into a parking lot for several miles.

For more information go to www.VVDailyPress.com or read the full story in Tuesday's Daily Press. To subscribe to the Daily Press in print or online, call (760) 241-7755.

Offline KC6ZGG

• Squirrel
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 10, 04:58:35 PM »
Incident:    0720   Type:   Traffic Collision - Ambulance Responding   Location:   SB I15 JSO US395   ThomasBrothers:   4565 3C   info as of:   2/15/2010 4:52:48 PM
ADDITIONAL DETAILS
12:59PM   PER RP 6 MC WAS 23103 SPEEDING DOING WEELES AND I/O TRFC
12:50PM   RDWY CLEAR - ALL LANES OPEN
12:19PM   1039 G AND M FOR BOTH
12:12PM   SB JSO 395 TRAFFIC AT STOP - UTL SO FAR
12:04PM   HIT 2 VEHS
12:02PM   PER ANOTHER RP THE MC PASSED AT A HIGH RATE OF SPEED PRIOR TO TC
11:59AM   1039 COMM CNTR
11:59AM   1125 #3
11:58AM   VEH VS MC

Naughty pines

« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 10, 05:08:07 PM »
When are these MURDERcyclists going to realize that the roads are not for them alone. Vehicles with four or more wheels are bigger than them and cause more damage to then than they cause to the four wheel or more vehicles most of the time.

I was run off the road three times on a motorcycle, never injured badly, and decided my well being was more important to me than riding a motorcycle.

Chesslike

« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 10, 07:26:45 PM »
Didn't know were to post this but it is road related and noticed it on the message board by Mtn High also so it may as well go here.

During all of last week a big thank you to Caltrans for reminding drivers on the freeways using the message boards through out the southland freeway system. There were several vehicle vrs. car related accidents recently resulting in fatalities and all vehicles involved were at fault by not seeing the motorcyclist.

"Share the Road, Look Twice for Motorcyclists"

It must have been posted all through Southern California as I saw over a dozen signs with the same message today.

kew

« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 10, 07:28:15 PM »

Offline Elk

• Raccoon
  • Go PATS!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 10, 03:28:37 PM »

Tomas

« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 10, 08:05:03 PM »
It's starting to snow in Big Pines and there are a couple of slick spots on N4.

wwpt

« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 10, 08:41:09 PM »

Getting a drizzle of snowflakes in town now...Sure is cold & windy.

Is the fog bad down by the 138 & 2?

Tomas

« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 10, 09:39:50 PM »
Snow is starting to stick at 5,750' west of Jackson Lake.

Tomas

« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 10, 06:19:48 AM »
There are snow patches on the coldest parts of N4. For the most part the snow did not stick. Cinders have been laid down.

Offline Chuck

• Raccoon
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 10, 08:08:24 AM »
Lone Pine Canyon will be closed some time after 6:00 Pm  Friday night.

Roy Montry

Public Works Operations  Supervisor

Baldymesa  Road  Yard

Rmontry@dpw.sbcounty.gov

Phone  760-949-0335

Fax     760-949-0659

Offline SkierBob

• Raccoon
  • Hangin' out Down the street
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 10, 10:22:51 AM »
temps dropping fast