Author Topic: Hwy 2 conditions near & past Grassy Hollow  (Read 111175 times)

Offline ForestGal

• Raccoon
  • Fight On!!
Re: Hwy 2 conditions near & past Grassy Hollow
« Reply #350 on: Nov 07, 08, 04:20:06 PM »
RobertW, thank you so much for the great pics and for the fascinating information!   :2thumbsup:  I haven't been down to VG since the day my friend and I went there to check out the dead girder.  That was a really sad sight.  I surely don't know anything about construction equipment, but I really wish the main contractor had hired this current trucking outfit in the first place.  :-\  From what I understand, the original one was the ONLY one who bid on the job the first time.

Offline Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
« Reply #351 on: Nov 07, 08, 05:02:40 PM »
Great coverage Bob!

Offline RobertW

• Raccoon
  • Clear Skies!
« Reply #352 on: Nov 07, 08, 05:19:44 PM »
Sorry for the small sized pics.  I reduced them too much, but I think you can get the idea.

Offline Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
« Reply #353 on: Nov 07, 08, 05:21:46 PM »
Bob can you give us the rundown on how this girder beams ranks among the largest?

Offline RobertW

• Raccoon
  • Clear Skies!
« Reply #354 on: Nov 07, 08, 05:24:56 PM »
Bob can you give us the rundown on how this girder beams ranks among the largest?

At 208 feet and nearly 170 tons each, I was told by two people at the construction site these are the largest single span cement girders in the entire state of California.

Offline ForestGal

• Raccoon
  • Fight On!!
« Reply #355 on: Nov 07, 08, 05:35:15 PM »
OK, here's a probably stupid question.  A little off topic, but now I'm curious, what kind of girders are in the Golden Gate Bridge?  Or other bridges like that.  I know it's a suspension bridge, but wouldn't there have to be girders someplace to support the bridge, and wouldn't those girders be taller than ours?  It doesn't suspend from the sky...... :-\

Offline Joe Schmoe

• Raccoon
« Reply #356 on: Nov 07, 08, 06:17:34 PM »
Watching these professionals work was truly amazing.  A once in a lifetime event.  I was told by two people at the site that at 208 feet long, these are the longest single span cement girders in the state of California!

Wow, what a pleasant surprise.  I expected the project to be out of commission.  And a bit of notoriety to boot.

Who do you call when you have a giant girder to move?  Mr Crane, of course.

Offline CA5th

• Fire Safe Council
  • Bear
« Reply #357 on: Nov 07, 08, 07:16:13 PM »
OK, here's a probably stupid question.  A little off topic, but now I'm curious, what kind of girders are in the Golden Gate Bridge?  Or other bridges like that.  I know it's a suspension bridge, but wouldn't there have to be girders someplace to support the bridge, and wouldn't those girders be taller than ours?  It doesn't suspend from the sky...... :-\

The Golden Gate Bridge is made of steel.  Because of that it has to be constantly repainted. 

Look it up on the Internet.  There are many fascinating stories about how it was build and how it is maintained.  It is really a beautiful bridge!

Offline Toolman

• Raccoon
  • You can't fix stupid
« Reply #358 on: Nov 07, 08, 07:34:58 PM »
 It doesn't suspend from the sky......

Why that's why they make sky hooks.... ;D

Sorry couldn't resist that in case you've never heard the term.... sky hook.

CA5 is right... other long and high altitude bridges are steel framed with cable supports.

The frwy. over passes and transition roads are formed in place which I couldn't understand why they didn't perform that..... but that concept is way above my pay scale...  ::)

I've traveled many times up the Ca. coast (Hwy1) to Montery and there is a magnificant bridge you traverse over and I thought it was constructed of concrete. But..... who's looking at the bridge construsction when you're riding up HWY 1  ;)

Offline Ken

• Raccoon
  • KI6IMO
« Reply #359 on: Nov 07, 08, 09:27:15 PM »
OK, here's a probably stupid question. 
I was told by one of my high school  teachers, "when you are trying to learn, there is no such thing as a stupid question."

By the way, I was wondering the same thing. :)

Offline ForestGal

• Raccoon
  • Fight On!!
« Reply #360 on: Nov 07, 08, 10:09:40 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll research the other bridges tomorrow when I'm not so sleepy (I'll blame the delicious pine nuts on my delicious veggie pesto pizza from MH for being sleepy   ;D).......  And Toolman, the concept of checking out bridge construction while driving up Hwy 1 doesn't exist, that is one of the most beautiful drives on the planet, especially when it isn't foggy!  It's been over 30 years since I've seen that, time to go back....... :)

Offline NX

• Scrub Jay
« Reply #361 on: Nov 07, 08, 10:15:15 PM »
^ AHA! So  you're the one that delayed the delivery of my Pepperoni Pizza tonight..  :wink3:

Offline ForestGal

• Raccoon
  • Fight On!!
« Reply #362 on: Nov 07, 08, 10:27:52 PM »
^ AHA! So  you're the one that delayed the delivery of my Pepperoni Pizza tonight..  :wink3:

HeeHeeHee!  That, plus they had to go to the trouble of making one of their delicious antipasto salads with no meat on it, just for me..... ::)  Sorry about causing your delay!   ;D

Anyway, it's great to hear how wonderfully the progress is continuing on our bridge, and the re-opening of Hwy. 2.  Maybe there really is hope to see Dawson Saddle again, in my lifetime.....

Offline RobertW

• Raccoon
  • Clear Skies!
« Reply #363 on: Nov 08, 08, 06:01:33 PM »
The forth girder is now in place.  They were going to load the last girder on the dollies this afternoon to be moved on Monday, but because there is a front moving through the area tonight with possible high winds and precipitation, they elected to wait until Monday.

As of Monday all 5 girders will be in place.  The new girder that  will replace the one that was destroyed will be delivered on Wednesday.  It will be assembled at the installation site.

In talking to Bob, this road is going to be finished in December,  inclement weather or not.

Here is the fourth girder ready to be set on the "pads".  The cranes are about to remove the girder from the dollies.  120,000 lbs of counter weight was needed on the 500 Ton crane to perform this feat:

Here is a look at the pad that the girders are set on.  The girders are not secured to the pad.  They just rest upon it so they can move during an earthquake.  It isn't as if they are going anywhere.  There are cables that will secure the top of the girder to the road.

You'll notice the girders seem very close together.  They are just being placed on the pad, to be separated and spaced once all are in place.

Toolman was able to get some good pictures taken of this span from the canyon below with a telescopic lens.  He hopes to have them posted by Monday.

Offline Toolman

• Raccoon
  • You can't fix stupid
« Reply #364 on: Nov 09, 08, 07:24:30 PM »
This is truly an awsume site to behold from the top side, especially looking over the side.

I had a vision last night of what it would look like from below looking up as a photographic aspect now that materials are actually in place at the "Gap". Maybe we could call it the gap bridge....dunno.. :-\

We drove down 4n11 towards Big Rock and parked were the "ice shoot" normally occurs and blocks the road far into spring that originally took section of the road out.

Here's three shots from below looking up at the girders in place as of this weekend.

The big gun from below

The span...

The over view

These guys are dedicated are on a mission and a well planned mission at that.  ;)

Offline RobertW

• Raccoon
  • Clear Skies!
« Reply #365 on: Nov 10, 08, 08:09:41 PM »
Another picture taken from the top. (The service road will be removed once the bridge is completed and the side of the hill groomed so as to make sure any further slides go under the span).

Here four girders are in place. (They will be space them out evenly after all girders are placed on the pad).  The fifth one was to be installed today.  Again the last one will be assembled on site.  It arrives on Wednesday.

Offline Joe Schmoe

• Raccoon
« Reply #366 on: Nov 18, 08, 08:51:06 PM »
Success?

Offline onehappykampr

• Squirrel
« Reply #367 on: Nov 19, 08, 07:03:23 AM »
So when this bridge is completed, will Hwy 2 be open all the way then?  :2thumbsup:

Offline hikin_jim

• Scrub Jay
« Reply #368 on: Nov 19, 08, 09:25:48 AM »
I believe that's the idea.  My understanding is that the road has been repaired in the other damaged spots in the closed stretch (from Islip Saddle to Vincent Gap).  The bridge is the last remaining damaged spot. 

Now, having said that, will they open the road immediately following the completion of the bridge section?  Possibly not.  With winter approaching, there could be rockslides and the like.  They may wait until spring to open the closed stretch.  The day they open it, I think I'll drive it, just to say "hi" to an "old friend" (ACH).  :)

HJ

Offline RobertW

• Raccoon
  • Clear Skies!
« Reply #369 on: Nov 19, 08, 11:40:28 AM »
As we've stated, we've traveled the entire length of the closed stretch all the way to Islip Saddle.  The road is in EXCELLENT shape.

The last rain we had did bring down a lot of rocks, but they've cleared much of it as they needed to bring the Crane to the construction site from the other side.  It would only take a couple of runs of a CalTrans truck to get the rocks off the road.

I think whether they open the Hwy after the bridge is complete depends on when exactly they get the bridge finished and what the weather forecasts are.

Offline hikin_jim

• Scrub Jay
« Reply #370 on: Nov 21, 08, 10:03:46 AM »
OK, good.  That's about what I thought.  Very cool.  Finishing the bridge is the only real obstacle to re-opening the road.   :2thumbsup:

Offline RobertW

• Raccoon
  • Clear Skies!
« Reply #371 on: Dec 02, 08, 02:14:43 PM »
Talked with CalTrans this past weekend...

With all girders in place they are now removing the beams and shoring that supported the "service road" and the "service road" is being removed so that any storm action will moved the water and rocks underneath the new bridge.

You'll recall that this shoring was installed back at the beginning of the Summer:

Once this is done, it appears they'll start working on getting the new road installed over the girders.

Offline Toolman

• Raccoon
  • You can't fix stupid
« Reply #372 on: Dec 23, 08, 06:57:07 PM »
 Wanted to mention that the road is plowed up to the construction site so the workers can continue progress on the bridge. Was to busy with snow play activity this weekend to take the time to get more information..... my bad.

Offline RobertW

• Raccoon
  • Clear Skies!
« Reply #373 on: Jan 03, 09, 04:28:40 PM »
Yesterday, January 2nd, 30 concrete trucks delivered, via CHP support, the concrete to complete pouring the bridge.  The bridge has now been poured and is awaiting curing time.  They have pipes with hot water and warming blankets so as to keep the concrete warm and allow it to cure.  This could take between 2 weeks to 21 days.

The only thing left is pouring the aprons that connect the highway to the bridge and cement railings.

They will finish the bridge this month, despite the weather (albeit 3 months late), though it will not open to the public until next spring.

Offline SkierBob

• Raccoon
  • Hangin' out Down the street
« Reply #374 on: Jan 03, 09, 07:06:02 PM »
They have pipes with hot water and warming blankets so as to keep the concrete warm and allow it to cure.  This could take between 2 weeks to 21 days.

How do they heat the water?