Author Topic: PCT Hikers  (Read 14878 times)

Kevin Quinn

Re: PCT Hikers
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 11, 06:34:40 PM »
Sadly yes, he has left. I was interviewed by him and i made it clear to him that Wrightwoods reputation was well deserved and served by others. My involvement was a first time event. I have to say, the stories that hikers told of homes, hot tubs and smorgasbords made me want to throw on a pack and walk into town. You guys are awesome,  Virgo said he has never seen anything like the town of Wrightwood.
After witnessing the joy of a hot shower/tub, laundry, a good meal, a real bed and a bit of hey hang and enjoy, I have been granted the opportunity to appreciate where we live and all the little things we have. Again,,,a great week for me.

Kevin Quinn

« Reply #21 on: Jun 01, 11, 06:13:08 PM »
Just a quick note to all the Trail Angels in town. I am doing all the preliminary work in preparation to writing an article about what you do and why you do it. I realize that most of your contact information is available through either the hardware store or from the Methodist Church. But i don't want to impose on anyone. If you see this post and would be interested in an interview for the article please E-mail me at Kevynwriter@Yahoo.com. The article will be submitted to the Los Angeles Times as well as papers that parallel the Pacific Crest Trail. All information will be forwarded to Virgo, the film maker who recently passed through town in the hope it will be used in his documentary. Thanks and I look forward to meeting you.

Offline ChrisLynnet

• Raccoon
« Reply #22 on: Jun 01, 11, 07:48:01 PM »
What a cool idea! I'm a little jealous of people who can help them. I can't bring anyone to my house because of a stranger-wary dog with big teeth, but I think it's amazing how friendly and welcoming WW is to the hikers.  :2thumbsup:

kawasaki_girl

« Reply #23 on: Jun 08, 11, 08:04:21 PM »
I remember welcoming a few girls some years back.... I BBQ'd some chicken, made some other sides and the girls tell me "oh, wer'e Vegatarians"...LOL! Next time I would ask!
Another time we had a young man who had his dog, Boomer with him. He was really nice, I helped him sew up his backpack. He was a "super light" and he accidentally stepped on his strap and lifted at the same time, and RIP!

I, too give rides when I see them on the road. Its typically not going to be a bad person during this time of the year, big, dirty packs and technical gear hanging off of the pack are typical for the thru-hikers.

I would love to be a trail angel but husband works nights often so I don't really feel I should drag these people home... :D

Offline Nolena

• Raccoon
« Reply #24 on: Jun 08, 11, 10:34:13 PM »
I was introduced to an Israeli hiker while I was in the Hardware Store. He had stayed with a family in town, and their dog had chewed through a strap on his back pack.
I connected him with a wonderful lady in town (LynnC) who sewed it up for him.  :)
And I shocked him a little by speaking Hebrew to him.  :)
It's great to meet the hikers who are passing through!  :2thumbsup:

Kevin Quinn

« Reply #25 on: Jun 09, 11, 05:01:10 PM »
Sooo, the PCT Trail Angel story is quickly becoming a hot topic. I have received numerous inquires from newspapers and several magazines, and I haven't even written it yet. I have a few Trail Angels who I can interview. I know of a few more, and I respect your anonymity. But, if I might impose just a bit, the interview is quite benign, and any information you provide will be used to establish a common thread that can serve the story while keeping personal information private.
My purpose in writing this article is not only to tell what I feel is a truly wonderful story, but also to bring a bit of recognition and publicity to our sometimes struggling town.

Kevin Quinn

« Reply #26 on: Jun 27, 11, 06:08:08 PM »
I am back from New Orleans and very excited about the Trail Angel story. Unfortunately I need to finish several projects before I can fully devote my time to this great article.
Thank you all for contacting me, if i may I will send you some questions regarding the article and that will give us a good place to start. Sorry for the delay, but looking forward to telling your stories.
Kevynwriter@Yahoo.com

Offline Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 12, 05:01:31 PM »
Excellent blog about Heather and Sierra who are a mother and daughter attempting to hike the 2,650 mile Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada. They  started in late April and hope to finish in early October. If all goes as planned, Sierra will finish third grade, celebrate her 9th birthday, and start fourth grade all on the trail!

http://sierrapct.blogspot.com/2012/05/day-27-sheep-creek-truck-road-to.html

Offline SkierBob

• Raccoon
  • Hangin' out Down the street
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 12, 08:47:32 AM »
Excellent blog about Heather and Sierra who are a mother and daughter attempting to hike the 2,650 mile Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada. They  started in late April and hope to finish in early October. If all goes as planned, Sierra will finish third grade, celebrate her 9th birthday, and start fourth grade all on the trail!

http://sierrapct.blogspot.com/2012/05/day-27-sheep-creek-truck-road-to.html

Sierra and Heather are from Bishop, Ca.  Here's another story about them on the Sierra Wave website.

http://www.sierrawave.net/11965/pacific-crest-trail-2/

anything