Author Topic: A Mountain by Any Other Name  (Read 17386 times)

GRAHAM_RANCH

A Mountain by Any Other Name
« on: Feb 07, 08, 10:30:06 PM »

GRAHAM_RANCH

A Mountain by Any Other Name-Part Two
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 08, 10:33:23 PM »

Offline Local

• Squirrel
Re: A Mountain by Any Other Name
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 08, 12:38:58 AM »
As I clicked on this article (not really reading the title I just enjoy your history of Wrightwood) before I scanned half way down the picture I recognized, that the picture had been taken from Table Mountain.
Table Mountain will always be Table Mountain to all the old Locals even if SOME people want to change the name.

LocAL

Offline ChrisLynnet

• Raccoon
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 08, 07:24:37 AM »
Don't look at me! At 5 years I'm still a relative newcomer to Wrightwood, but I love the old names. I don't think we should change a thing.

Offline Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 08, 11:52:36 AM »
Terry,
I think there is some confusion as I don't think storm was attempting to have Table Mountain renamed and don't think the USGS would have allowed it without justification. In addition an attempt to rename would need approval by the USFS and counties involved.

The area that storm is attempting to have named is the ridge line that falls within San Bernardino County and is not Table Mountain.

Offline tlc

• Bear
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 08, 12:14:48 PM »
Very interesting history of the area and great images to support the information. I suggest, if suggestions are warranted, to call the second area Table Mountain Ridge.

Offline Wrightwood

• Administrator
  • Raccoon
  • Wildlife Gateway
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 08, 12:41:03 PM »

Offline Nolena

• Raccoon
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 08, 06:53:30 AM »
Storm Ridge

Offline Hobbes

• Raccoon
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 08, 08:36:36 AM »
Thanks for clarifying that Wrightwood, because I was becoming confused.  I thought too, that Storm was attempting to name a different ridge.

I've Known this Mountain as Table Mountain well before owners changed the ski resort name to Ski Sunrise, a name I never really cared for.  The ridge has always been Table Mountain to me.

But I do have one question.  How has the other ridge gone so long without a name?  Was it considered part of Table Mountain, is it part of table Mountain?  I hope someone can explain.

GRAHAM_RANCH

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 08, 02:20:13 PM »
Douglas Milburn, who is the Angeles National Forest Assistant Forest Archaeologist, emailed me the following: In regards to the Table Mt. Map provided on Wrightwood Forum- "The circled area is simply an extension of Table Mountain Ridge and has been always been referred to as East Table Mountain Ridge (by the USFS). Similarly, the main ridges at the northern end of Table Mtn. are referred to as West Table Mountain Ridge and North Table Mtn. Ridge.  I have hiked the entire East Table Mountain ridgeline a number of times and there's no good dividing point to separate the ridges (as the graphic seemingly indicates)."

Offline Nolena

• Raccoon
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 08, 03:32:53 PM »
Well, I guess that settles it.
It's Nolena Ridge.

Offline Bob C

• Raccoon
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 09, 09:58:37 AM »

Naughty pines